7th & 8th Grade English Language Arts Teacher
Cottonwood Valley Charter School in Socorro, New Mexico is seeking a qualified applicant to teach 7th and 8th grade English Language Arts. This position may be departmentalized by subject area if necessary. CVCS has 170 students in K through 8th grade. Our campus is friendly and inviting with a family-oriented philosophy.
As an middle school teacher at CVCS, you have the opportunity to set the tone for learning for the rest of a student’s life. When students have a good, educational, happy experience during elementary school, they are more prepared to take on the challenges of middle school, high school and college. You are able to teach students to love learning and also how to overcome the challenges and obstacles they face that keep them from reaching their goals. While adhering to the core curriculum required by the state, you are able to find creative, engaging ways to teach students real-life application of difficult concepts like literature, math and science.
· Create daily lesson plans that are engaging, educational and exciting for the kids, encouraging them to want to come to school.
· Deliver lesson plans in a way that catches the attention of the students and keeps them occupied and excited about learning.
· Reach school and course-wide performance goals for every student in class.
· Watch closely for students who are struggling with emotional problems, learning disabilities or situations at home, and help them find the resources they need.
· Grade papers and homework regularly to keep students updated on how they are doing and to head any problems off before they become habit.
· Increase educational knowledge and stay up to date on new methods by joining professional organizations, attending continuing education courses and attending regular training sessions for teachers.
· Weave goals, competencies and objectives into lesson plans in ways that directly apply to the student’s life.
· Offer praise and encouragement to students when they do well and when they are struggling, and teach them that they have the power to do well in school no matter what.
Job Skills & Requirements
· Bachelor’s degree in elementary education or higher
· Pass state certification exams designed to meet the needs of elementary students
Educational Assistant and Substitutes Needed
Cottonwood Valley Charter School is seeking an Educational Assistant for middle-school students weekday mornings only. A 2-year associates degree and prior education experience is preferred. Duties include: academic support, playground duties, mentoring positive behaviors, and light clerical work. A background check and EA license through NMPED will be required before the hiring process is complete. Staff applications can be found under Jobs at
Substitute positions are open for K-8 grade teachers. Background checks and a substitute license application through NMPED along with training and classroom observations are required prior to hiring. Applications for Substitutes can be found online at cottonwoodvalley.org under Jobs.
Please call 575-838-2026 for more information.
CVCS always needs substitute teachers!
*All subs need to have a background check and a NMPED Substitute Teacher's license.
Please stop by the principal's office and pick up an application or download one below.
Click here to download job application.