News for 2009-2010 School Year
The Cottonwood Valley Weekly
newsletters are also available online.
- May 26: Graduation ceremonies will be held tonight, at
5:30 p.m. for Kindergarten and 7:00 p.m. for 8th
- May 9: The CVCS Band will perform in concert with
the Socorro Community Band, at 1:30 p.m. in the old Church
of the Epiphany (on Fisher St. across from the fire station).
A big thank you goes to Dr. Eileen Comstock for leading
the biggest CVCS band ever!
- May 4: Governing Council Election Day!
Please be sure to stop at the school to cast your vote!
Candidate information is available in the office or online on
the elections page.
- May 3: Congratulations to the CVCS Relay for Life team.
Students and chaperones took turns walking, and several
stayed the entire night. The team raised more than $1,000!
- April 26: Congratulations to eighth-graders Juan Gutierrez,
Reed Conoly, and Sean Caldwell, and seventh-grader Maggie
Kerkmans, who won Honorable Mentions for their essays in the
statewide contest, Stereotyping: From Anne Frank to the
Present. Good job!
- April 23: Congratulations to Deborah Partey, 3rd grade, and
Changrui Liu, 2nd grade, for placing second and third at the
District Spelling Bee. Way to go!
- Congratulations to all the CVCS students who received awards
for their Junior Duck Stamp contest entries:
- 2nd place: Electra Burleigh, 3rd grade
- Third place: Samantha Hurtgen, 3rd grade
- Honorable mention: Wyatt Sandoval-5th, Setayesh
Fakhimi-5th, Joyce Green-3rd, Caylah Huber-3rd, Albert
- April 10: Congratulations to eighth-graders Anjik Ghosh,
for his second-place finish in his category at the State Science
Fair, and Sarah Frail, who received an Honorable Mention in
hers. Well done!
- April 9: Usborne Book Fair continues, 8:00-11:30 a.m.
- April 8: The Usborne Book Fair will be held in conjunction
with the Core Knowledge Festival and a potluck dinner from
5:30-7:30 p.m. at CVCS. The book fair will also be open
during the day from 10:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. Also this evening
we will have a public review of next year's proposed budget at
6:30. This will be followed by the Parent Association meeting
at 7:00 p.m., featuring an update on the new permanent
- March 6: Congratulations to all CVCS
students who participated in the regional Science Fair on
March 6. Between them they brought home three
first-place finishes, two second-place, and two special
awards. Medalists will advance to the state Science Fair
at NM Tech, April 9-10. Well done, everyone!
- March 3: Volunteers are incredibly valuable to CVCS. Check out
article from a recent AeroJet newsletter about Kathy
Spring, the grandmother of a CVCS student, who has
contributed in many ways to our school. Thank you to Kathy
and all our other volunteers – we couldn't succeed
- February 22: Congratulations to the
CVCS Science Olympiad team, who placed ninth in the state at
the competition on February 20. Team members received
medals in seven events and scored in the top ten in three
others. Well done, and thanks to coaches Nancy Engler and
Rodney Mayfield! Also, CVCS alumni Mariah Deters, Siddhartha
Dhawan, and Moaaz Soliman were the top-scoring high-school
seniors in the statewide event. Way to go!
- January 30: Best of luck to the CVCS Science Olympiad
team, who will be testing their skills and knowledge at
the regional competition in Silver City. The team members, with
coaches Mrs. Engler and Mr. Mayfield, have been preparing since
- January 29: CVCS spelling-bee winners will be competing in the
county spelling bee. Good luck to Carl Lewis (4th grade), Casper
Huang (5th), Lee Lewis (6th), Maggie Kermans (7th), Anjik Ghosh
(8th), and last year's champion Alice Zhang!
- December 15: The annual CVCS Winter
Performance will take place at 6:30 p.m. at the
Macey Center. Come enjoy the songs and skits the students
are working on and have a fun evening with other CVCS
families and community members!
- November 23: Congratulations to our district declamation
contest winners! Changrui Liu, Dana Hufft, Joshua Walsh,
Scott Bunning, and Radeen Moradi all came either first or
second in their categories.
- Sunday, November 8: Annual CVCS Fall
Festival, 11:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m. Everyone welcome!
Games, entertainment, ethnic food potluck, etc. This is always
a fun event,
but it takes help from the entire school community to produce
a successful Fall Festival. Please contact the office to let
them know if you can help with activities, setup, cleanup,
etc. Thank you!
- October 24: Congratulations to the Robotics team, who
placed 10th in a tough competition. Well done!
- October 24: The CVCS B.E.S.T. Robotics team will be
competing at NMSU with about 25 other middle- and high-school
teams from around New Mexico. Since mid-September they have been
working on their robot and lots of documentation to go with
it. They are in the process of setting up their Web site;
you can follow their progress.
- October 22: Congratulations to CVCS 7th grader Tita Marrero-van Fleet, who
wrote the winning
essay (6th-7th grades) in the 2009 Aldo Leopold Writing
- October 15: Cards for our troops: Ms. Berlat will
hold a card-making evening, from 6:30-8:00 p.m. at CVCS.
We will be joined by a group of children from the Civil Air
Patrol. Bring your favorite card-making supplies - even just
construction paper and markers will do fine - and have fun
together supporting our troops overseas. Donations of New Mexico
"treats" would also be appreciated: non-perishable and lightweight
e.g. dried chiles, pinon, etc. Thank you!
- Thursday, October 8: Walk & Roll to School Day!
All students who participate by walking or riding a bike,
scooter, skateboard, etc. to school on Thursday morning will
receive a sticker and prizes! Appropriate safety gear
must be worn.
- October 1: The CVCS Governing Council currently has a
parent-member vacancy. If you are interested, please read
the information on the elections
page and then submit a completed Letter of Intent by
October 12, 2009. The Governing Council will appoint the
new member at its next regular meeting.
- The annual Scholastic Book Fair will be held in the CVCS
library September 21-25, from 7:45 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. every
day. This is a fundraiser for our school; please come
to check out the books and support CVCS. Thank you!
- August 13: Please join us for our annual Back-to-School
potluck, starting at 6:00 p.m. This is always a fun
event where families can get to know each other. This year
we will also have an additional orientation session starting
at 7:00 p.m. for those who are not able to come to the morning
one on the first day of school. Please bring a dish to share,
and plan to have a great time!
- August 11: School starts for CVCS.
Welcome to 2009-2010!
Please note that CVCS is starting a day earlier than the other
district schools. Classes will run from 8:15 a.m. to 11:15
a.m., with no bus or hot-lunch services. There will be a special
family orientation period for about 30-60 minutes in the morning.
All families should plan to come.
- August 7-9: Tax-free weekend for school clothing and supplies.
For details please see the NM State Taxation & Revenue
- The CVCS Dress
Policy has changed only slightly for this school year:
plaids will now be allowed for tops and bottoms.
- In June, federal education and health authorities issued a
letter to school
administrators regarding plans for managing H1N1 flu
in the coming school year.
- If you haven't signed up for Smith's Earn & Learn program, please
do it soon! A percentage of your shopping spending is donated
by Smith's, at no cost to you. Our school has received more
than $15,000 in past years, which was spent on library books,
field trips, etc. You can sign up at the store in seconds.
Thank you for shopping at Smith's!
- Please save all your Boxtops For Education, empty printer
toner cartridges, and soup labels for our school. These turn
into real money. You can send them with your child to the
office. Thank you!
problems or questions regarding this Web site,
please contact the