News for Current School Year
The Cottonwood Valley Weekly
newsletters are also available online.
- Please join us for the Usborne Book Fair and CVCS
Music Night on Wednesday, April 24 at 6:30 p.m. Besides
being a school fundraiser, the book fair is a great opportunity
to buy good books at good prices!
- January 26: Science Olympiad regional competition in
Silver City. Best of luck to the CVCS team!
- January 14: Congratulations to all our middle-school
science fair winners! Some of these students will be advancing
to the regional competition in Las Cruces:
- First Place: Maya Cordova, Setayesh Fakhimi, Teo Garner,
and Joey Young
- Second Place: Casper Huang, Ryan Lopez, Gian Polston-Madrid,
- Third Place: Brett Anaya, Carl Lewis, Caylay Huber,
Dominique Maguire, Samantha Hurtgen
- Zacharias Janssen Award: Leo Malone, Paul Bohling, Albert
Olguin, Echo Ware
- Tycho Braho Award: Eric Engler
- Steve Jobs Award: De'jiah Molina, Amy Olsen
- Johannes Kepler Award: Colin Huber, Tim Quintana, Jim Kracke
- December 19: Please join us for our annual
Holiday Night from 6-7:30 p.m. in
the CVCS Multipurpose Room. Bring your family and enjoy
an evening of fun, including caroling, crafts, refreshments
and more! Please bring a plate of fruit/veggies or a holiday
treat to share.
- The Campbell's Labels for Education program has a bonus
point offer for turning in labels from Pepperidge Farms
products by January 31st. Please help us earn extra points
that will be used for more playground balls. Include
Pepperidge Farms products in your holiday shopping and turn
in to CVCS before Jan. 31, 2013. Thank you!
- December 17: Congratulations, Lynn Planck! Our
first-grader won 2nd place at the County Declamation Contest
in Magdalena. Good job, Lynn!
- The CVCS Golf Team now has its own
Web site. Go team!
- November 9-10: The CVCS B.E.S.T. Robotics team
competes in the area regionals in Garland, Texas. Go, team!
- October 22-25: Spirit Week at CVCS — Special clothing
themes and activities during the week! Monday: pajama day;
Tuesday: backwards inside-out day; Wednesday: goofy hair day;
Thursday: Sports team day. (Friday: first day of fall break!)
- October 20: The CVCS B.E.S.T. Robotics team placed fourth
overall at the state competition in Las Cruces today, and were
invited to participate in the regionals in Texas next month.
Way to go, team!
- October 11: Carnival! 5-7 p.m
Games, prizes, pizza, drinks, and raffles. The first 120
people to buy pizza or drinks get a special plate/cup!
Fundraiser for the CVCS B.E.S.T. Robotics team; team
members are planning and running the carnival.
- October 3: Walk or Roll to School Day!
We encourage all CVCS students to take advantage of this fun
opportunity to get some fresh air and exercise before school.
If you would like to ride with a group, please see the
Sept. 24 newsletter
for a list of meeting locations. Appropriate safety gear
must be worn.
- September 24-28: Coming to CVCS: the Scholastic Book Fair!
Details will be available soon. Besides being a terrific
opportunity to get excellent books at great prices, this is
also a fundraiser for our school.
- September 18 and 20: Reading, language arts, and math
standards assessments will be given this week. Grades 6-8
will take them on Tuesday, and grades 3-5 on Thursday. Please
make sure your child is well rested and on time these days!
Thank you. Results will be available at the parent-teacher
conferences next week.
- September 7: CVCS and other Socorro-area fourth-graders
will perform with the National Dance Institute this
Friday at 7:00 p.m. at the NMT Macey Center. Please come and
enjoy this great show!
- September 6: Socorro county's Safe Routes to School program
will hold its "Bike to School Day" Kick-Off Ride for
the school year. Monthly rides will be led by adult volunteers
to both Zimmerly and CVCS, starting from four separate
collection points around town (and returning after school).
Please join us! If you need a helmet, have questions about
the rides or the program, or want to volunteer, please contact
Nadine Ulibarri-Keller at the Socorro Health Office, 835-8656.
For location details, please see this week's
- August 13: Please note that the school day will begin
at 8:10 a.m. daily this year, instead of 8:15 as before.
Please make sure your child arrives on time. Thank you!
- August 9: Please join us for our annual Back-to-School
potluck, starting at 5:30 p.m. This is always a fun
event where families can get to know each other. This year
we will also have an additional orientation session starting
at 7:00 p.m. for those who are not able to come to the morning
one on the first day of school. Please bring a dish to share,
and plan to have a great time!
- August 6: School starts for CVCS.
Welcome to 2012-2013!
Please note that CVCS is starting a day earlier than the other
district schools. Classes will run from 8:15 a.m. to 11:00
a.m., with no bus or hot-lunch services. There will be a special
family orientation period for about 90 minutes in the morning.
All families should plan to come. If you cannot
attend on Tuesday morning, the orientation will be repeated
following the potluck on Thursday, August 9.
- The CVCS Dress
Policy has not changed this year.
- August 3-5: This will be a tax-free weekend for school
clothing and supplies.
For details please see the NM State Taxation & Revenue
- August 1: There will be a special advance orientation for
Kindergartners and their families, from 5:30-7:00 PM in the
- If you haven't signed up for Smith's Earn & Learn program, please
do it soon! A percentage of your shopping spending is donated
by Smith's, at no cost to you. Our school has received more
than $15,000 in past years, which was spent on library books,
field trips, etc. You can sign up at the store in seconds.
Thank you for shopping at Smith's!
- Please save all your Boxtops For Education, empty printer
toner cartridges, and soup labels for our school. These turn
into real money. You can send them with your child to the
office. Thank you!
problems or questions regarding this Web site,
please contact the